- HOW TO NAME YOUR COMPANY
- SCORE YOUR COMPANY NAME IDEAS
Updated at 26/12/2021 - 12:24 pm
The following is a four-step process on how to name a company / business name to make the idea of a company name attractive and interesting for you that Expertis has gathered and gathered after many years of working as a consultant. enterprise.
1 - How to name a company based on the element "Company name for business needs" #
Here's how to name a company/business name that starts by thinking of words that might fit your company name. Your goal here is to create a list of words or names that come to mind when you think of your business.
Tips: You should change back and forth from the perspective of your customers, product or service consumers and your perspective when coming up with business names to include in your choice list.
2 - How to name the company based on the element "related to the brand name of the product or service" #
According to the Vietnamese legal framework:
- The business name is registered in "protection" under the Enterprise Law and is not required to be registered for intellectual property
- Product / service brand names are protected exclusively only when they are registered for protection under the Intellectual Property Law.
Most of the time B2B businesses start their business or use the business name as the name of the product or service. However, for B2C businesses, or after a period of extensive development, it leads to the need to use a different product or service brand than the business name.
Therefore, Expertis recommends that you consider this right at the stage of choosing a business name. The way the business name is related to the brand name of the product or service helps customers quickly associate it, creating an advantage in marketing.
You can of course correct any problems with the registration later on, but there are also situations where it can be difficult to deal with later, such as the following:
+ If you decide to choose the business name as the product/service brand name, you need to check the ability to register with the National Office of Intellectual Property for Trademarks. Learn more at Intellectual Property Department. Otherwise, you may fall into a situation where you have a business name of A but cannot use the product/service brand name because there is an intellectual property registration unit before you.
+ There are also cases where you choose the business name of A, the name of the product or service is X, Y, Z ... while in the market there is a business named B but have intellectual property rights to the brand name of the product. products and services named A (same name as your business name, and successfully registered for intellectual property). >> This can cause confusion for your customers, especially when there is a risk of product or service quality, leading to customers being confused as: “Your business is named A and at the same time the owner of your business. is a product or service with a brand name of A and therefore assumes that your business provides a bad product or service (The reason is that customers are not interested in many legal aspects of the name but more in psychological perception).
3 - The idea of naming a company must "meet the regulations on naming businesses" #
i – The way you name your business must comply with the regulations on business names as follows:
1. The Vietnamese name of an enterprise includes two elements in the following order:
a) Type of enterprise. The name of the business type is written as "limited liability company" or "limited company" for limited liability company; written as "joint stock company" or "joint stock company" in respect of a joint stock company; written as "partnership" or "HD corporation" in respect of a partnership; written as "private enterprise", "private enterprise" or "private enterprise" for private enterprises;
b) Proper name. The proper name is written in letters in the Vietnamese alphabet, the letters F, J, Z, W, numbers and symbols.
2. The name of an enterprise must be affixed with the head office, branches, representative offices and business locations of the enterprise. Business name must be printed or written on transaction papers, documents and publications issued by the enterprise.
3. Based on the provisions of this Article and Articles 39, 40 and 42 of this Law, the business registration agency has the right to refuse to approve the proposed name of the enterprise.
(Provisions in Article 38 of the Law on Enterprises)
ii – The selected business name must not be the same as the existing business names
Duplicate name means the Vietnamese name of the enterprise applying for registration which is written exactly the same as the Vietnamese name of a registered enterprise.
iii – The business name must not cause confusion
The following cases are confusing:
1. The Vietnamese name of the enterprise applying for registration is read like a registered business name;
2. The abbreviated name of the enterprise applying for registration coincides with the abbreviated name of a registered enterprise;
3. The name in a foreign language of the enterprise applying for registration is identical to the name in a foreign language of a registered enterprise;
4. The proper name of the enterprise applying for registration differs from that of a registered enterprise of the same type only by a natural number, ordinal number or letters in the Vietnamese alphabet and the letters F, J , Z, W immediately after the name of the enterprise;
5. The proper name of the enterprise applying for registration differs from that of a registered enterprise of the same type only by the symbols "&", ".", "+", "-", "_";
6. The proper name of the enterprise applying for registration differs from that of a registered enterprise of the same type only by the word "neo" right before or "new" right after or before the proper name of a registered enterprise;
7. The proper name of the enterprise applying for registration differs from that of a registered enterprise of the same type only by the words "North", "South", "Central", "West", "East" or words with similar meaning.
iii – How to check if the selected business name is the same or not
Step 1: Go to the homepage of the National Business Registration Portal at: https://dangkykinhdoanh.gov.vn
Step 2: Enter the proper name of the company in the box Search for a business.
If no company name appears, the expected name will not be duplicated.
This way is very simple and anyone can do it, you can compare with the names of all registered businesses in all types.
1 - List your company name ideas #
After you have developed a list of possible names, analyze your ideas.
Remove any names that are hard to remember, difficult to spell, or say aloud, or too heavy.
Keep names that are Brandable, sound great, are easy to remember, and convey your brand values, products or services to your target audience.
2 - Scoring company names to choose and shorten the list of names #
Here is a Business Name Check / Scoring Form Suggestion Template that you can implement your ideas on to help shorten your list of names:
Factors should be checked
Name, for example: DORA for baking enterprise
Is the name simple and easy to remember?
Is the name easy to read and say?
Is the name different from the competition?
Does the name relate to the customer what means (Brand Spirit / National Soul) to them?
Does the name convey a brand equity related to the product / service?
High (Doreamon / Japanese Quality)
Does the name avoid words that use exaggeration or cliché or touch sensitive matter?
If you work with a foreigner / foreign business: Is the name readable by foreigners?
If you work with a foreigner / foreign business: Are Vietnamese and English reading names the same? The Tiki example satisfies this criterion.
As the table above, if the name DORA is for the construction industry, there will be a completely different rating.
3- Survey internally and get some feedback on your company naming ideas #
You should now have a list of 3-6 attractive and interesting company names and you can start asking potential customers you know or people who work in the industry for feedback (your target audience). friend).
For the survey to be effective, be sure to ask prompting questions such as:
i) What was the first thing that came to your mind when you first heard the name?
ii) How would you spell it?
iii) And some questions from the name check sheet in step 2.
Note: Avoid feedback from family and friends, they are more likely to compliment all of your ideas and they are not your customers.